St. Ferdinand Catholic Parish is more than two centuries old.
The parish celebrated 225 years on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013 with adult and children's mass services along with other celebrations.
More than 600 people attended this celebration, according to the parish.
St. Ferdinand Catholic Parish Historical Timeline:
1788: Commandant Francois Dunegant deeded the land for St. Ferdinand Parish.
1789: The first log church was built.
1821: A new shrine was built to replace the original church. According to church officials the church is believed to be the oldest standing church of any denomination in all of the 1804 Louisiana Purchase Territory.
1827: Father Peter DeSmet was ordained at St. Ferdinand.
1957: The active parish moved to its current location.