Patch Picks highlights editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
Nothing expresses just how unique the Florissant community is like Old Town Florissant.
This is something that the people of Florissant always remember, and for those who aren’t quite as aware of what goes on in Old Town, Patch is here to drop some knowledge.
First established in 1786, what we now call Old Town Florissant has always prided itself as a community that plants the roots of history deep, embracing its historical background and cherishing it. While a solid weekend is required to truly begin to appreciate all that Old Town has to offer, there are certain spots that are required stops while visiting.
- The Old Town Florissant Donut Shop, 510 New Florissant Rd., provides the perfect opportunity for a sugary fix. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, this Old Town staple has been serving the people of Florissant donuts, cookies, muffins and coffee since 1968 at any time, day or night. Whether on the way to work, for lunch or even for a nightcap, this donut shop is the place to be.
- Local shoppers and treasure hunters are sure to get their own fix at the Florissant Old Town Market Place. Specializing in antiques and collectibles, 22 vendors shop wares of all shapes and sizes. The quick eyed are sure to spot real value when sorting through everything there is to offer. The market can be found at 525 rue St. Francois and with hours Monday through Saturday, there’s always a good opportunity to visit.
- For those who want to even more romance out of February, Dooley’s Florist and Gifts down the street at 690 rue St. Francois offers original creations yearround. Fresh, dried and silk flowers are all covered, and the local talent prides themselves on creations and arrangements unique to this Old Town shop. Stop by to pick up something special for your own special someone because it’s never a bad day to say, “I love you.”
- While antiques and flowers may not sound appealing to the kids, the same can’t be said for magic. The Sports Dream Card Shop, 605 Jefferson, is sure to grab the attention of children of all ages with their tricks, gags and the rare, practically extinct sports card. Just make sure the kids are responsible with their fun. No one wants to leave the house because a stink bomb went off.
- What better way is there to close out the night in Florissant than at Bunkers? Old Town’s very own watering hole since 1901, it seems like everyone who lives in Florissant knew someone who worked at this landmark at one time or another. Situated at 297 rue St. Francois, the atmosphere is meant to feel right at home, and with pool, darts and daily drink specials, it doesn’t take too long to become a part of the crowd. Just make sure you bring cash. Try and swipe a card, and they’ll point you right to the ATM at the entrance to the bar.