Looking for something fun and interesting to do this weekend? Florissant Patch has you covered with these seven events happening around town this weekend, and there's a little something for everyone.
Friday, Dec. 2
- A dance for senior citizens will be held at the , 7-10 p.m. Music will be provided by the Alley Kats.
Saturday, Dec. 3
- will hold its annual FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at 3400 Pershall. More than 600 high school students are expected to participate in the robotics competition.
- The ’s Parks & Recreation Department will hold a holiday party , called XXIII, for kids from fifth grade to eighth grade Saturday. The party is co-sponsored by the City of Florissant and the Florissant Youth Advisory Commission and will feature a DJ, game room, ice skating, swimming, contests and door prizes. Party-goers will also be treated to free pizza and Pepsi products. Admission is $6 in advance or $8 at the door. For more information or to purchase tickets in advance, you can call the James J. Eagan Center at 921-4466 or at 921-4250.
- The annual will be held in Old Town Florissant Saturday. The annual event begins at 2 p.m. on rue St. Francois and ends at 6 p.m. at City Hall, where the city’s Christmas tree will be lit. Attendees are encouraged to do some holiday shopping with local retailers, and Santa Claus will arrive in Florissant at 2 p.m. at the Senior Dining Center at 621 rue St. Francois. Kids are welcome to visit Santa from 2 to 5 p.m. Also featured at the Senior Dining Center will be storytelling, face-painting, pictures with Santa and more. At City Hall, kids can enjoy crafts and the whole family can enjoy music and entertainment. There will also be a walking Christmas Parade. Several retail shops will be open, including: , The Silver Moon Stencil Shop, , , , on rue St. Francois, and . Restaurants open will include , and . To join in the parade or for more information, you can call at 314-837-0033.
- will hold a Christmas Gospel Concert on Saturday at 7 p.m., featuring more than 60 choir members from the Community Gospel Choir. Director Cecelia Stearman will lead the choir as they perform both traditional Christmas spirituals and contemporary gospel favorites. Admission is free.
Sunday, Dec. 4
- St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley will hold a FIRST LEGO League event from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday. This program is geared toward elementary and middle-school students, and more than 350 are expected to participate. This event will also be held in the gymnasium on the Pershall Road campus.
- Sunday. The show, written by Andy Cooney, will focus on the magic and meaning of Christmas. It will feature George Casey, also known as Ireland’s “King of Blarney,” Kate Purcell, one of Ireland’s most popular folk artists, the Darrah Carr Dancers and Brian “Bugs” Moran, along with the Andy Cooney Band. Admission is $27 for adults and $25 for seniors and students. For reservations or more information, you can call 314-921-5678 or visit the city’s website.