The only way to over rule the Supreme Court's Citizen's United rule is a constitutional amendment. There is a group "Move To Amend (MTA)" working on it and they need our help. Congress is holding a closed hearing on this, however, Move To Amend has not been invited to participate yet. MTA have been in touch with Senator Durbin, who has complete discretion over who to invite, and MTA members in the eleven states of the individual committee members have already been in contact with their senators in pursuit of an invitation.
MTA are now calling on all citizens to contact Senator Durbin -- please make a quick call tomorrow: (202) 224-2152. The office will close at 4:00 PM.
Be polite, and be firm in your conviction.
Sample phone script:
My name is ________________. I am calling Senator Durbin in his capacity as Chairman of the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights. [NOTE: If they ask are a constituent, you are calling because this committee represents all Americans.]
I actively advocate for measures to reverse Citizens United and I understand there is a committee meeting on July 17 to address remedies to Citizens United. I also understand that you will be inviting advocates and experts on the subject to participate in the hearing.
I’m calling today to ask the senator to please issue an invitation to Move To Amend for these reasons:
- MTA represents over 400 organizations.
- MTA represents over 208,000 petition signers.
- MTA's position comes out of 20 years of movement building, grassroots organizing and legal research.
- Over 250 towns and cities have passed resolutions supporting the movement to amend.
- The MTA proposed amendment is superior to all of the proposed amendments before Congress because it deals with BOTH "corporate constitutional rights" AND "money equals speech."
Please contact Steve Justino at 303-564-4169 if you have questions.