VIDEO: Florissant Residents Unafraid of Friday the 13th
Florissant residents share their favorite Friday the 13th superstitions in our video.
Although few Florissant residents would admit to holding any superstitions about Friday the 13th, many love curling up with some scary movies on the day of bad luck.
The fear of Friday the 13th has it's own name, "paraskevidekatriaphobia," according to urban legends.
Even without Friday attached to it, the fear of the number 13 itself is so powerful many buildings have no 13th floor, hotels often don't have a room 13, some planes skip the 13th aisle and some cities avoid a 13th street.
Most people have heard of superstitions such as not crossing a black cat's path or not walking under a ladder on Friday the 13th, but more obscure fears include:
- No haircuts on Friday the 13th or else a family member will die.
- Changing your sheets on Friday the 13th will result in bad dreams that night.
- Cutting your fingernails on Friday the 13th will bring bad luck.
- A trip started on Friday the 13th will end in disaster.
- Passing a funeral procession on Friday the 13th will result in your own death the next day.