With summer in full swing, many Florissant families and residents are heading out of town to enjoy vacations and getaways. But how protected is your home?
The Florissant Police Department has listed a number of ways that residents can protect their homes and have a peace of mind while away on a trip.
- Make sure your residence looks like you’re there, and not empty.
- Leave shades and blinds in a regular position.
- Stop all deliveries and make sure you have a neighbor, friend or family friend to pick up newspapers, mail or packages at your home.
- Have a neighbor place garbage cans at the curb on your normal pickup day(s) and return them after the garbage pickup is made.
- Don’t announce your vacation on the answering machine, leave it as its normal message.
- Close and lock your garage doors and windows, and ask someone to occasionally park in your driveway. If you have a car parked in the driveway, leave it as you normally would.
The Florissant Police Department has a form that residents can submit for officers to come by and check on their property while on vacation. Officers can check homes for up to four weeks.