- - - - Updated at 1 p.m. on Thursday - - - -
Police are now saying that the Alton woman who was fatally shot inside an Alton police car Wednesday morning had committed suicide after grabbing the officer's gun from him, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
- - - - Updated at 10:55 a.m. on Thursday - - - -
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting police are awaiting the results of an autopsy this morning to help determine the circumstances under which an Alton woman was killed Wednesday while a police officer was taking her to the hospital.
According to the report, Stephanie Hicks, 20, of the 700 block of Linden Street in Alton was fatally shot at about 9 a.m. Wednesday while being driven to Christian Hospital Northeast by an Alton police officer.
- - - - Updated at 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday - - -
The dead woman’s family says she managed to get the gun away from an Alton police officer and kill herself. Police have not confirmed or denied any details from the Wednesday morning shooting, Fox2 News reprots.
- - - - Original Report from Wednesday - - - -
St. Louis County Police say a woman was shot and killed Wednesday morning while sitting inside an Alton police officer’s car near Florissant, Fox2 News reports.
From Fox2 News:
Alton Police Chief David Hayes says the officer was transporting a female suspect to Christian Northeast Hospital Wednesday for Crisis Intervention Treatment when the shooting happened. The woman was shot inside the Alton officer’s car at Dunn Road and Highway 367.
KSDK reported that the gun involved in the shooting belonged to the officer who was driving the woman to the medical facility.
The incident happened less than five miles from Florissant.
For more on this story, read Fox2 News' story.
See More on Patch
- Crime: Murder, Child Prostitution and a Fatal Car Accident on I-270
- Updated: Suspect Charged in Shooting Death of North County Man
- Crime: Fatal DWI Sentencing, Woman Sets Fire to Car and More
- Two Men Charged for Robbery, Shooting Near Florissant Valley Campus
- Crime Roundup: Shooting Near School Campus, BB Gun Brought to Elementary School and Bank Robbers Caught