With heavy rain forecasts for the weekend moving area high school football games, Mayor Tom Schneider and Police Chief William Karabas want residents to be prepared for the possible risk of flooding.
With the threat of heavy rain, the City of Florissant Street and Engineering department are doing visual inspections for blockages on sewer inlets, drainages, culverts and bridges around the city. If residents happen to notice any blockages, they’re encouraged to contact the street department at 314-839-7652.
The mayor and police chief would also like to encourage residents to prepare their homes for the heavy rainfall to prevent the possibility of flooding, including:
- Check gutters, down spouts and yard drains for blockage and clear any accumulated debris from them. Ensure downspouts discharge away from foundation walls.
- Limit showering and laundry, or any other water intensive activity during periods of heavy rain. If the sanitary main is overcharged this additional water may back up into your home.
- Relocate any valuable items from basement floors to higher locations.
- Do not drive through flooded roads.
- Monitor weather reports via TV, radio, internet, etc.
- If you observe flooding, please contact the Florissant Police Department at 314-831-7000.