An Electric Holiday Gift Guide
We track down 10 must-have gadgets and toys for kids of all ages.
Whether you love dressing up dolls, challenging your family to an epic board game tournament or kicking back with some music or movies in your free time, Florissant-area businesses have gift items that provide for endless hours of entertainment and fun.
1. What little girl doesn't dream of growing up and becoming a princess? Macy's at Jamestown Mall is selling a Disney Princess Favorite Moments set for $29.99 that allows girls to play with Cinderella, Belle, Ariel and Sleeping Beauty and dress them up.
2. The JCPenney Outlet at Jamestown Mall has the boys covered with one of the Nerf guns from the popular "N-Strike" line of toys. The N-Strike "Maverick Rev-6" is being sold there for $14.99.
3. Board games are always a great way for families to spend time together, and they make great gifts for individuals or families. Barnes and Noble is one of many retail stores in the area that keeps a variety of them in stock. They're selling various versions of Yahtzee (including The Muppets and Super Mario Bros.) for $19.95, and various versions of Monopoly (including The Beatles, Coca-Cola and The Muppets) for $39.95.
4. Food and beverage gift sets are also popular gifts for individuals, couples and families. Target is selling a Knott's Berry Farm breakfast kit for $14.99 that includes pancake mix, biscuit mix, two varieties of jam and a bottle of boysenberry syrup.
5. As previously reported in Florissant Patch's Cyber Monday story, this year's hot gaming system is the Xbox 360, as it has added the Kinect, which monitors players' movements for game play without the use of a controller. GameStop is bundling the Xbox 360 and the Kinect for $299.99, and for those who already have an Xbox 360, the Kinect is being sold for $149.99.
6. Blu-Rays are slowly edging out DVDs as the primary medium for home video, so Blu-Ray players (which also play regular DVDs) are becoming increasingly popular. Kmart has a Panasonic Blu-Ray player for $149.99, but it's currently on sale for $79.99.
7. Docking and charging stations for iPods, iPhones and other MP3 players are also in abundance this holiday season. RadioShack has several different models, including one that doubles as an alarm clock for $79.99 (and is currently on sale for $49.99).
8. Smart phones - cell phones that access the Internet and e-mail just as fast as any computer - are also popular technological gifts this holiday season. Wireless Toyz has the Sprint HTC Evo phone for $299.99 or for only $199.99 with a two-year contract.
9. Walgreens has a large variety of small appliances for sale this holiday season, including standard items such as toasters and blenders, but they also have newer kitchen gadgets, including a Sylvania brand omelet maker for $12.99 (or $9.99 after the mail-in rebate they are currently offering). This would be perfect for the "foodie" on your list, or even for your post-present opening meal plans.
10. Pier 1 Imports definitely has fun for the older "kids" covered with a variety of items for dining and entertaining. Their beveragewear includes a set of six shot glasses for $19.99.